Search This Blog

Saturday 29 May 2010

Tanam farsooda jaa paara

A Qawwali is a sufi devotional song. A Qawwali can be classified into several categories:
  • Hamd: A song in praise of Allah. Traditionally a Qawwali begins with a Hamd.
  • Naat: A song in praise of Prophet Muhammad. A Hamd is followed by a Naat.
  • Manqabat : A song in praise of Imam Ali.
  • Marsiya: An elegy sung as lamentation over the death of much of Imam Husayn's family in the Battle of Karbala
I am writing down one of the most popular naats. The language is Persian. 

marhawa salle alla hastam sana khaane rasool
sad salaaam-e-man bazisne paak per jaane rasool
aye saba be pe ke mustaaka badar gaahe nabi
wo salaam dast basta peshe haiwanee rasool

(I am unable to find the meaning of above verses. I'll be grateful if anyone explains it to me.)

This naat is wriiten by Moulana Abd-ar-rahmaan Jaami.  Listen to Ustaad NFAK singing this naat.
 
Tanam Farsooda jaa para
Ze Hijra Ya Rasulullah
Dillam Paz Murda Aawara
Ze Isyaa. Ya Rasulullah!

( My body is dissolving in your separation
And my soul is breaking into pieces.
Due to my sins, My heart is weak and becoming enticed. Ya Rasulullah! )

Choon Soo’e Mun Guzar Aari
Manne Miskeen Zanaa Daari
Fida-E-Naqsh-E-Nalainat
Kunam Ja. Ya Rasulullah!

( When you pass by me
Then even in my immense poverty, ecstatically,
I must sacrifice my soul on your blessed sandal. Ya Rasulullah! ) 

Ze Jaame Hubb To Mustam
Ba Zanjeere To Dil Bustam
Nu’mi Goyam Ke Mun Bustum
Sukun Daa. Ya Rasulullah!

( I am drowned in the taste of your love
And the chain of your love binds my heart.
Yet I don’t say that I know this language (of love). Ya Rasulullah! )

Ze Kharda Khaish Hairaanam
Siyaa Shud Roze Isyaanam
Pashemaanam, Pashemaanam, Pashemaanam. Ya Rasulullah!  

( I am worried due to my misdeeds;
And I feel that my sins have blackened my heart.
I am in distress! I am in distress! I am in distress! Ya Rasulullah!)

Choon Baazoo’e Shafaa’at Raa
Khushaa’I Bar Gunaagara
Makun Mahruume Jaami Raa
Daraa Aan. Ya Rasulullah!

( When you spread your hands
to intercede for the sinners,
Then do not deprive Jaami of your
exalted intercession. Ya Rasulullah! )

(The transaltion is taken from net.)

2 comments:

Yugal Joshi said...

Reminds me of the genius of Aziz Mian .. Arbab-e-nazar koi aisa milega insaan toh mil kaayenge maula na milega, taareek dhoondegi saani-e-Muhammed saani toh badi cheez hei saaya na milega ... remember his words khaab-e-rahat main ummey haani ke ghar, jibraeel ne aake sunaai khabar ..

Prashant said...

yep..he is one singer who makes langauage irrelevant..how beautifully he mixes persian with urdu...